Maintenance Solar Water Heater
Solar water heaters are also called solar domestic hot water systems and they are very cost effective when it comes to generation of hot water in our homes. They use free fuel- sunshine- and they can be used in any climate. Solar water heaters include solar collectors and storage tanks.
For proper running of your solar water heater, proper routine maintenance and inspections are very key. Also, some components may need replacement and repair from time to time. You can do maintenance solar water heater on your own but other tasks requires a qualified technician.
The following are the suggestions of maintenance of solar water heater components. In addition, read owner’s manual for suggested maintenance tips.
· Collector shading- you should visually check for collector shading during the day- mid after-noon, noon and mid-morning- annually. Collector shading is known to greatly affect solar collectors’ performance. New construction on your house or your neighbor’s house, vegetation growth over time may produce shading that was not there when the collectors were initially installed.
· Collector soiling- periodic cleaning of collectors is necessary in dusty and dry areas.
· Collector seals and glazing- you should check to see whether seals are in good condition and look for cracks in the collector glazing. You may need to replace plastic glazing if it is excessively yellowed.
· Ductwork, plumbing and wiring connections- you should regularly look for fluid leaks at pipe connections. Also check duct seals and connections. All wiring connections should be tight and ducts should be sealed with a mastic compound.
· Duct, piping and wiring insulation- you should look for degradation or damage of insulation covering wiring, pipes and ducts.
· Roof penetration- sealant and flashing around roof penetrations should always be in good condition.
· Support structures- you should check all bolts and nuts attaching the collectors to any support structures for tightness.
· Pumps or blowers- you should verify that distribution blowers or pumps are operating.